Please note: "Next blog" button will load a random, non-LLL blog. Click at your own risk.

Gail's LLLI Conference Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Conference blogger 3

Conference blogger 3
Hello whoever you are…

I’m not sure if folks will ever really read this but I’ll keep writing as if you are. I realized I still haven’t introduced myself like the other Conference bloggers have. I just dove right into my quest for a room, roommate and a way to get to DC! Guess I was a bit hyper-focused!

So here I am… Gail. I’ve been a La Leche League Leader since my son Eric (12 years old) was 8 months old. I found LLL when my Son Alex (15 years) was 6 weeks old. My daughter Katie will be 10 on June 9th. Sigh my baby can’t really be turning 10!!!!

I live in Dunnville, Wisconsin, USA. Maybe you’ve heard of it??? It’s barely there anymore but if you’ve ever read about Caddie Woodlawn you’ll know right where I live. Well, sort of. Her house is near me. In fact my FIL donated the land that the park and historical marker are on, from his farm.

I co-lead the LLL of Menomonie Group with Chris who drives 45 minutes to lead meetings. Some of the moms have to drive that far too. I guess that’s the thing about LLL whether it’s a Series meeting, Area Conference or International conference. It’s worth traveling for.

I’ve never been to an international Conference before. Even though it’s within driving distance every two years when it’s in Chicago, somehow something always got in the way. This time, the dream is real!!! It’s not quite the dream I started out with but its coming true in its own way.

At first I thought I could never afford it. And then some friends encouraged me to apply for a scholarship. I didn’t think I’d have a chance, but I’d gain experience in the effort and maybe really have a chance the next time around…and then I got one!!!! (Thank you thank you thank you)

At first I thought it would be a dream come true if my family would meet me in DC before or after to go sightseeing. After some hard thinking and serious talking I realized I had to let that go… I love museums and historical sights. I can get lost for hours pouring over each detail, reading every scrap of information and boring my kids to tears….. I realized they would be much happier fishing and tromping through the woods with Dad. And, Dad an introvert will be MUCH happier as well!

At first I thought I would travel with a dear friend from Minnesota, Linda (HI!). But then family plans for a new addition to their home to make room for their growing (size not number)family became a priority. This threw me for a spin. Suddenly I had no anchor!!! I had to make decisions alone… travel alone… find a roommate… find folks to sight see with… eat with… AIAIAIAI I was SPAZING OUT!!

Ah! That was at first. Things are a bit different now.

I'm getting excited now!

I have a room, I have roommate, I have a flight and I know I can get a taxi to the hotel... Ah.. A PLAN!! (Never in my life did I think having a PLAN would be so darn important to me!)

I've stopped spazing (for at least this moment) and I'm starting to get giddy about being there. I'm not so giddy about the flight... good grief I know it sounds dumb but I've never flown alone! I process things by talking... some poor guy in coach is going to beg for another seat!!! (Or a stiff drink if he’s stuck by me)

Now I’m thinking ahead to the conference. Everyone I want to meet--- Founders! Authors! Leaders I’ve met online but not in real life. All the sessions I want to attend (How can I choose???) all the sights to see before the conference starts.

I'm going to have to make a list of people to meet while I'm there!!
I just bought a new scan disc card for our digital camera. It should hold 480 pictures if I'm reading the package right. Will that be enough???? ;-D If it's not enough room maybe I could email a bunch to myself and start over again!

Now I’m just plain excited!

Gail

7 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm reading! :) This is going to be my first International Conference, too. I have NO IDEA what to expect, but I am SO EXCITED about going!! :)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Suna Kendall said...

I'm reading, too. This year is the tenth anniversary of the first LLLI conference I ever went to. I still look forward to meeting people!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger AgnesAnne said...

Sandee, do you get to go out and play or are you tied to the technology room too?? Let me know so i can come find you!

Gail

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger AgnesAnne said...

Jennifer,

Have you picked your sessions yet???

I'm getting closer. I'm still torn though in a couple blocks between sessions to help me be a better leader, mother, middle aged woman or sandwich generation kid.

Maybe I should have Katie my soon to be 10 yeat old pick.... surely she wouldn't have as much angst!

gm

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Abigail said...

You do sound excited! :)

I picked my sessions but I've misplaced my confirmation letter, so I can't remember what any of them are. How sad is that?

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger AgnesAnne said...

LOL,
well at least you'll be surprised!
When do you arrive??

Gail

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I registered months ago. I don't even remember which sessions I picked (I do have it written down somewhere), but I suspect I'll be skipping half of them to be in the Tech Room anyway. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home